Sunday, May 6, 2018

New Beginnings

My blog has been silent for quite some time now. I have spent this time learning about myself and how I can write about these experiences. So far, the story is germinating in my mind and I believe it will begin to reveal itself to me in the next few months.


So many times, as authors of science fiction and fantasy, we shy away from writing autobiographical stories. Unless, of course, they are included in our main genre. I hope to break away from my usual writing and find a new voice that will embody the essence of what I have experienced.


So, to all those who are still listening to this blog, I wish you well.


Working Title:   A Long Walk Through Hell


Mental illness is a topic that, unless you're writing non-fiction, has been portrayed as some crazy person attacking people and trying to kill them or some such ideas. The idea that a toned down version where people are portrayed in a more sensible vein sounds boring. But anytime anyone experiences the pangs of acute anxiety, the highs and lows of bipolar disorder, the personality break of schizophrenia or the desperation of terrible depression there is a big yawn and the reader waits for the big scene where there is a desperate break from reality so there can be an adequate resolution.


I say there is a balance that can be reached where the story doesn't have to be outrageously overwritten or mind-numbing boredom on the other side. What I'd like to write about is a journey from crisis to self-realization from our protagonist. Of course there will be at least one antagonist and a few non-believers to the character.


Like I said at the beginning of the post, the story is still germinating. But I think I'm ready to at least start sketching it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment