Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Liebster Blog Award


I've just come off a month of whirlwind editing and publishing of my two books, Medieval Muse and Dragon Kind to find that I've been given an award. The Liebster Blog Award was given to me by Heather Musk over at: Reading, Writing and Everything In Between. Thank you, Heather, for giving me a breather from my duties.

This award comes in groups of 11's. I saw over at Heather's blog that she wrote 11 things about herself that weren't evident in her blog and then answered 11 questions and then asked 11 questions for the 11 new recipients of this award. So, I will follow  the example she has set.

First, I will tell you 11 things about me that you might not know:

  1. I am a very proud grandmother of my dear four year old granddaughter, Jude Avery. She is a very bright child (of course I'm biased) who can play on the computer without any help, plays pee-wee soccer and loves to wear dresses, especially ones that are pink.
  2. At age 18 I traveled to Europe with an orchestra and in Italy we stayed in Rome for two weeks studying music. Of course, my girlfriend and I studied more than just music with all the cute Italian sailors around. I received a marriage proposal from a sailor who was dying to come to the USA.
  3. The time I spent with a Buddhist group sent me to Japan where I played in another orchestra and marched in a fife and drum corps in a parade. What instrument did I play in the parade? The bass drum!
  4. I have a sister, Loretta Stephenson, at Art By Retta, who is very talented. Not only is she an artist (she did the book cover for Medieval Muse), but she is musically talented too. When I've been stuck for an idea in my writing, I've always been amazed at the incredible ideas that flow out of her.
  5. I live with my oldest daughter and we get along quite well. Where I hate to cook, it is one of her passions. She is another one of my muses when I am writing. Also, she has the ability to bring a smile to my face when I am blue.
  6. I am working on a Sci-Fi series with my critique partner, and a Fantasy novel at the same time. Also, I'm getting ideas together for my class which starts in September where I will be writing another story and poetry. No, it's not allowed to use work already written before class starts.
  7. I'm bored with most sporting events. I'm glad for the Olympics, but I haven't watched them at all. When I was in high school I was active in sports, but not anymore. Geez... I'm 60! Too old to be running the bases.
  8. I love chocolate, but can't eat very much of it. No, it doesn't give me acne, I'm diabetic and sugarfree chocolate just isn't the same thing. I was amused at M Pax's use of chocolate in her book Stopover At The Backworlds' Edge.
  9. I'm reading a book by Orson Scott Card: How To Write Science Fiction & Fantasy and he has some great ideas that all sci-fi writers should mull over at least once.
  10. I have a new idea for a book. It's about a new technology that's being experimented with by scientists. A telepathy chip that's implanted in the brain that can control computers, TV's and light switches. Of course, I have other ideas for its use. Hmm...
  11. I have always had a hard time talking about myself. If someone was considered shy when they were growing up, it would have been me. In fact, I think my cheeks are pink just from writing this post.
Now we get to the part where I answer the questions that Heather posed for me:

  1. What has been your favourite sport at the 2012 London Olympics? I didn't watch the Olympics this time, but the swimming has always been a favorite in the past.
  2. Who was the first Doctor Who that you remember seeing on the television? Dr. Who? I've never watched this series. So far, I'm batting zero!
  3. What would be the first thing you'd think to save (other than family) if you're house were hit by fire or flood? Probably my laptop. Or at least the flash drives that contain a back-up of all my work.
  4. Do you have a writing routine? Do you stick to it? It's not set in stone, just that I write everyday. I'm in a good habit and it's working for me. Yes, I stick to it. The day goes by so fast when I'm writing, I have to set an alarm when I need to do other things.
  5. Do you prefer tea or coffee? Coffee!
  6. Have you achieved your ambition(s) yet? Yes, I have achieved some of them. Others are near.
  7. When writing, can you cope with noise (children, television) or do you need absolute quiet? A little noise doesn't bother me, but not TV. That's too distracting.
  8. How many people know about your writing? I just recently got up the courage to start telling people that I am writing. The responses are quite interesting.
  9. Is your glass half full or half empty? Definitely half full!
  10. Darts – is it a sport or just a pub game? I supposed it depends on who is playing, right?
  11. Are you happy with your lot? Absolutely!

Now we come to the place where I bestow the Liebster Blog Award on 11 others. If I had my way, and the time, I would make sure that all my friends were awarded this honor. But, since the post is already very long, I'll stick to the rules. Here they are in no particular order:

Alex J. Cavanaugh
Susan Gourley/Kelley at Susan Says
Elysabeth at Elysabeth's Writing Emporium
Amanda Rose at Flowering Fiction
Susanne Drazic at Putting Words Down On Paper
M Pax
LG Keltner
Lynda R Young
Carolyn Brown
Nancy S. Thompson
Teresa Cypherbus at Dreamers, Lovers and Starvoyagers

Congratulations to all those who are here and to those who are not. We all have our successes, either big or small. It all depends on how we perceive them. Is your glass half full or half empty?

And here are my 11 questions for you to answer on your blog:

  1. What kind of music inspires you when you write?
  2. What is your favorite holiday?
  3. Barefoot or sandals?
  4. What are your goals for writing this year?
  5. What are you reading right now?
  6. Do you outline before you write? If not, do you have some other preparation for your story?
  7. Who or what is your special muse?
  8. Do you have a special place to go to get inspired?
  9. Do you prefer to write during the day or at night? Do you have a schedule?
  10. Favorite author(s)?
  11. Beef, chicken, fish or tofu?

For all of you who are interested, Dragon Kind will be available free at Smashwords.com with this coupon: ZP95F Click Here. Coupon expires August 16th.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the award! I'll post about it in the next couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Karen. I'll also post in the next couple of days. Just have a lot going on right now - E :)

    Elysabeth Eldering
    Author of FINALLY HOME< a middle grade/YA mystery (written similar to a Nancy Drew mystery)
    http://elysabethsstories.blogspot.com
    http://eeldering.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations and thank you. I've won it before so I shall just graciously accept it here. And you do NOT look sixty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. L.G.Keltner: No hurry! I'm glad you have the time.

    elysabeth: I know you have a lot going on and I don't want to squash you with more. So, take your time!

    Alex: Thank you for the compliment. My sister took that photo and you know artists... that can work miracles! :-) And by the way, I did not notice that you had won this award before. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for thinking of me Karen. Your granddaughter sounds wonderful. Your answers were all so upbeat, it inspires me. I'll be answering the questions next week on my blog. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan: You are welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed my answers. I can't wait to read yours next week!

      Delete
  6. Karen, Thank you. That was really nice of you to think of me! I will try to get to this in the next week, and let you know when the post is up.

    I have a 4 year old granddaughter, too! Amazing, the experience of spending time with her. Her hugs just melt me.

    And, by jeez! You really don't look sixty! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Karen. and for mentioning my book. Hope Medieval Muse is getting tons of downloads.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Teresa: Children are truly an inspiration for writing. I love watching my granddaughter too.

    M Pax: Thank you! It was a wonderful success!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Karen! THANK YOU! I'll try to blog about this award and the others I need to blog about real soon. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the award Karen! ^^ :) My mom is diabetic too, so I know exactly what you mean. The best sugar free chocolate we've been able to find are Russell Stover's chocolates, but it's never a good idea to eat more than a few at once. My mom's favorites are strawberry flavored. ^^ :)

    ReplyDelete