Friday, April 20, 2012

R for Revisions

Welcome to the A to Z Challenge! You can visit the Home Page HERE.

Today I chose Revisions as my R word. As writers, we all know the intense effort that comes when we hear or see the words: "please revise".  It sometimes seems that when we are crossing out those sentences or adverbs, or even whole paragraphs, it's like we are cutting off our own arm. But what comes by cutting out those parts and replacing it with something more dramatic or powerful is exciting and refreshing. We have re-birthed our story for a second, or third time and have only succeeded in making it that much better.

Just today I received from a valued critique partner a suggestion to revise part of a chapter that I thought I'd finally gotten right. But after reading her notes, I saw that I was head hopping with my point of view and had left the reader dizzy trying to follow the thoughts of the story. Back to the drawing board! The best part is, I didn't get angry or frustrated, I thanked my lucky stars that my partner had the courage to tell me my mistakes. So, my "baby" is getting re-born again before it gets ready for publishing. Hooray for revisions! It can only get better!

3 comments:

  1. Well, your in good company, for sure! :-D

    “I can’t understand how anyone can write without rewriting everything over and over again.”
    – Leo Tolstoy

    “Books are not written–they’re rewritten.”
    – Michael Crichton

    “I have never thought of myself as a good writer. . . . But I’m one of the world’s great rewriters.”
    – James Michener

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rettakat: Touche! I yield to the greater men. But wouldn't it be nice to be able to get it right the first time? Yeah... dream on!

    ReplyDelete