Saturday, February 25, 2012

Goals

I've been talking with Loretta Stephenson (Art By Retta) the last few days, nailing down the schedule for the book covers and illustrations on our upcoming projects. Then it suddenly hit me. We've set the goals to do these books. And now, they will happen!

Without goals, ideas, projects and whatever else you might be trying to do will probably never materialize. Until you sit down and commit yourself to your projects they will be something you talk about but never see. My way of setting goals is to get out the calendar and look practically at what I'm doing and how much I can get done. Then, I add in time for mishaps, setbacks and the usual daily occurances that can happen. I make a chart of what I need to get done and in what order. Then, I set my schedule.

Setting my schedule is important to me. Without it, I would be flopping back and forth from project to project not finishing anything. It is true, however, there are times when I get an idea and I need to write it down. So, I stop what I'm doing and take the time to write it out. That way, I don't have to wonder later, what it was I was thinking about. But, for the most part, I like to stick to my schedule.

Make a list, map it out, commit to it and set your goals. You can finish that story and the next one too!



"Shoot for the moon! Even if you miss you'll land among the stars." ~~  Les Brown (no relation)

"Follow you heart. If you are willing to work hard, you can visualize your goals." ~~ Michael Flatley

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you of how important it is to write it down, and figure out dates.

    One thing I recently read that I've started doing, is to write out your goal in a sentence (okay, mine is a huge compound sentence, ha ha) and then read it the last thing before you go to sleep. And it's written out as "already accomplished", and how I'm feeling about that.

    Supposedly, the brain takes this as fact, and works on ways to help you accomplish this. Or something along those lines. :-)

    So, mine starts out: I am excited to be... insert goals of choice here... and I even threw in a another sentence about how successful our project IS. :-)

    Kinda sorta fun. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you. Good luck with your new blog and with A-Z. I look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rettakat: I like your idea. Isn't that like visualization? I read a little about that some time ago and thought it was a good way to keep a positive attitude, even when things go wrong. And yes, "kinda sorta" fun!

    Welcome Armchair Squid: So glad you could stop by. The A to Z challenge is something I've never tried before and posting everyday will be new, but I see it as a whole lot of whopping fun!

    ReplyDelete