Monday, March 31, 2014

Animals and their Powers in Fantasy




Today is the first day of the A to Z Challenge lasting all through April. Bloggers who are participating post a new letter each day except Sundays. To go to the main webpage for the challenge click HERE. This is a blog hop and there are over a thousand participants. I know, because I'm number 1390! What a great way to meet new friends.



I chose Fantasy as my theme for the challenge. For the letter A I chose Animals and their Powers in Fantasy.

Very early on, mankind recognized the powers of the animals that shared the earth, and the ability to "talk to the animals" became a basic skill of shamans and magicians worldwide. Many tribes, peoples and societies trace their origins to a totem animal, often associated with a god, and hold that animal sacred. Animal powers are invoked through dances imitating their movements and musical intruments imitating their cries.
Acquiring an animal guide of familiar is important in many kinds of magic and spiritualism. The Native American sought his animal guide during a vision quest while alone in the wilderness, or on a spiritual journey assisted by hallucinogenic drugs, such as peyote. Western magicians gained the aid of a familiar through meditation and invocation, wearing masks and practicing shape-shifting.

Examples:

Bear: power, adaptability, knowledge of the healing power of herbs, brings balance and harmony on the astral plane.

Cat: a strong protector, seer of spirits, independent and self-assured, seeking for hidden information, shape-shifter, sacred to Egyptian goddesses Bast and Pasht.

Eagle: connection to the Creator, divine spirit, wisdom, swiftness, keen sight.

Hummingbird: messenger, able to stop time, happiness, love.

Owl: wisdom, truth, patience, keen sight, guide to the underworld, clairvoyance.

21 comments:

  1. I've often wondered what my animal guide would be. Maybe one day I'll be able to find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather: I would like help from more than one, myself. But I don't think it works like that. LOL!

      Delete
  2. I don't know what my animal guide would be, but the descriptors you've presented certainly seem fitting for each one, based on my limited observations.
    Visiting from A to Z ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy: Welcome! I had a longer list to choose from, but for the sake of brevity I kept it short. Would like to have put up the whole list.

      Delete
  3. I didn't realize they had particular meanings. Have you read The Clan of the Cave Bear? Lot about totems. I am a minion for the A to Z group so if you need help with anything just get in touch.

    JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo: Thanks for the book title. I'll check it out. Welcome!

      Delete
  4. So interesting! My animal guide would surely be something from the ocean! My first thought is that it would be a mermaid....I keep on watching the mermaid specials on TV ! But I do have a love for the dolphins! It would be great to see a static page with a list of all the animal guides! Everyone would love it! Jan @ http://mermaidsandcashmere.com/the-top-3-tips-for-herb-gardening-success/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice: I hope you get the chance to find out what your guide is!

      Delete
  5. Interesting posts. I look forward to reading more during A to Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan: I'm glad you made it. It's nice to see you since you post so regularly. Hope you make it back for more!

      Delete
  6. Animal guides! I've worked with this before with a good friend. I believe mine was a rabbit at the time.

    I love that you chose fantasy for your theme! It will be interesting to return to and see what you come up with. Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and welcome. I'm going to stick as close to fantasy as I can during the month. I'm a little worried about some of those weird letters, like x, y & z. LOL!

      Delete
    2. I hear ya! Those are going to be tough, but we can do it!

      Delete
  7. fantastic post, I love the idea. Welcome to A to Z 2014

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm having fun! Isn't that what it's all about? Yeah!

      Delete
  8. Very intersting post. Good luck with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! I'm looking forward to making it all the way.

      Delete
  9. Wonderful choice of theme. Although this topic is something new to me but I have loved the idea of it. Some food for my thoughts to do some research on this.

    Your fellow A to Zer

    A2ZFiction
    <a href="http://a2zfiction.wordpress.com/>A2ZFiction</a>

    ReplyDelete
  10. Animal guide sounds interesting, wonder what mine would be, possibly a cat with wings of fantasy.
    Fellow A-Zer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! Mine would be a cat also. I never thought about wings, however. Sounds interesting. Hmm...

      Delete