Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Are You A Prince or a Princess?






My granddaughter recently visited and I happen to ask her what her favorite character was... well... I was rudely awakened to the fact that she liked all the Disney princesses and she wanted to be just like them! She started naming off all the princesses, some of which I didn't know, and then started singing their theme songs. I was definitely awed by her ability to dance around and then curtsy.

What I wanted to tell her (but couldn't), was that in about a year and a half we would be making the reservations for our own trip to the Magic Kingdom. My granddaughter will be seven when we go - just the right age to be swept away by Disney's magic. But it was her question to me that got me thinking.

"Nana, which princess are you?"

We all have a kid inside that's begging to get out at times. That princess is the key to my imagination and by allowing her to have time to play gives me an enriched ability when I write. It doesn't mean I have to be a princess 24/7, but it means letting myself imagine my way through the story I'm working on. And you can too. Be a prince or princess and allow your imagination to fly! I'll see you later!

7 comments:

  1. Oh, what an adorable story!
    Such innocence... I love that SHE loves the Princesses, knows their names, songs, etc.
    You didn't tell which one YOU were??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, the only princess I relate to is Cinderella. All the rest were after I grew up. But now, as I allow myself to be a kid, I see the beauty in all of them.

      Delete
  2. What a sweet story! Won't she be thrilled when her magical day arrives.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susanne: Absolutely! And she won't be the only one who is thrilled. I'm so excited, I can't wait for the day to come.

      Delete
  3. We never went to Disney when my daughter was little but we did see Disney on Ice when the show was about princesses. She was so thrilled because we were only one row back from the ice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan: That must have exciting being so close to the action! Just like being a part of the show. How wonderful!

      Delete
  4. How cute! Seven is the perfect age for Disney. Older is perfect, too. I loved it as a teenager.

    ReplyDelete