Wednesday, September 2, 2015

IWSG and Quotes on Writing

Wednesday is September's Insecure Writer's Support Group hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh. To visit the main website, click HERE. The co-hosts for this month are as follows:

Heather M. Gardner  http://hmgardner.blogspot.com/   
Dolorah at Book Lover  donnahole@gmail.com 
Murees DupĂ©  http://www.mureesdupe.com/   

Quotes on Writing

"Write what should not be forgotten." ~Isabel Allende~

"My books are friends that never fail me." ~Thomas Carlyle~

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." ~Douglas Adams, The Salmon of Doubt~

"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you." ~Maya Angelou, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings~ 

"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." ~Ernest Hemingway~

"If you don't have time to read, you don't have time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that." ~Stephen King~

"Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very'; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be." ~Mark Twain~ 

"Fantasy is hardly an escape from reality. It's a way of understanding it." ~Lloyd Alexander~

"You never have to change anything you got up in the middle of the night to write." ~Saul Bellow~

"No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. No surprise in the writer, no surprise in the reader." ~Robert Frost~

"Read, read, read. Read everything- trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the master. Read! You'll absorb it.
Then write. If it's good, you'll find out. If it's not, throw it out of the window." ~William Faulkner~

"Fiction is the truth inside the lie." ~Stephen King~

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ~Anton Chekhov~ 

6 comments:

  1. All fantastic quotes! :) Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine: Thanks! I'm working through a first draft so it will be wonderful when I'm finished.

      Delete
  2. I'm going to start putting damn everywhere...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by."

    Oh, such a familiar noise! Love that quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Retta: No pressure here! Just a little ticking of the clock. Ha!

      Delete