Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Insecure Writer's Support Group

This is the monthly blog hop hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh. You can get to the blog by clicking HERE. We meet on the first Wednesday of the month and exchange our fears, insecurities and anything else that will help each other grow as writers.

Recently I've been struggling with my latest novel, which is the third book in a trilogy. I've finally made some headway after realizing that I've lost the characters in the plot. It took a fellow blogger to point this out and I appreciated their honesty with me. By sharing their own mistakes with me, I've grown as a writer and have a fresh idea for my story.

It's important for fellow writers to continue to band together so we become a strong body of writers. I'm grateful for those of you who stop by and leave a comment on my blog. Even if it's just a hello, I am reminded that you are out there and I'm not alone.

I'm excited and ready to go work on my book, thanks to fellow writers in this community. Enjoy your own writing and remember to leave a comment if you are so inclined.

Question: Which is more important - character or plot?

11 comments:

  1. It is important to have other writers help us and support us. I'm fortunate to have online support and real life support.

    I think character and plot are so intertwined they really can't be separated. A story needs both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary: Support is so important.

      I like your point that plot and character are intertwined.

      Delete
  2. I feel like you're talking directly to me. I'm editing the third book in my latest series and that's exactly what I did, let the plot become more important than characters. I had to adjust the balance between the two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you found your solution! It's amazing what a fresh set of eyes or ears can do to help us when we're struggling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy IWSG day! It's always great to get support from fellow bloggers. I'm glad someone was able to help you through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather: Thanks for dropping by and giving me your support!

      Delete
  5. I am also writing my third book in a trilogy Karen and I can relate to your situation. I am at a crossroads, wondering in which direction to go with my story. I am glad you found some help. I have previously been persuaded by my critique partners to perhaps follow a certain avenue in a story and am grateful I listened. But, it takes guts to do so and it is a large hurdle to overcome to be able to let another persons advice take hold without feelings of doubt creeping in. Pat yourself on the back for being strong enough to accept their advice. It is a really hard thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn: Thanks for sharing your situation with me. It's re-assuring to know my situation isn't unique. Also, I mulled over the advice and decided it was better than staring at a blank piece of paper. Besides, why re-invent the wheel when someone offers you a Cadillac? My story was stalled and I had tried numerous ideas. But I was trying to plot my way out. Instead, I concentrated on my character and started writing.

      Delete
  6. It's always great to get support from fellow writers. It's always encouraging.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete